Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 2-London Marathon Tour

Well, our time in London was limited.  Since we had other places we wanted to visit, we technically only had three days in London.  We made the decision to do a full day tour of London, and, if there were any sights we wanted to go back to, we would make notes and head back to them on one of our free days.

We boarded the bus at Victoria Station at 8am and didn't get back until 5pm.  We saw EVERYTHING!  Stacey and I dubbed it the marathon tour.  It was really intense!  We began our day at the Tower of London!!!!  So exciting! I'm a lover of historical novels, and I have read so many books the ended or began in the Tower!  I love stories about Henry the VIII.

We had our own tour lead by a Beefeater (or Yeoman Warder).  Tower of London was a powerful place.  There is something about being somewhere that you have spent a good part of your life reading about! 

After the Tower of London, we took a tour of the Thames on a boat.  I had read the best views of Big Ben and Parliament are from the river.  That was so true!!!

We then headed over to Buckingham Palace and to Covent Garden to eat lunch!  We had  lunch in an Italian cafe and discovered it was rude to ask for your check.  We had no idea, but they were really put off with the fact that we were in a hurry.  Someone needs to write a book of rules for traveling to foreign countries!  This was the second time we had to do this, and after the second time we realized this was a huge faux pas!  Americans eat too fast, I suppose! 

We hopped back on the bus, and headed over to Saint Paul's Cathedral!  Many people are buried here!  Honestly, I was planning on journaling the entire trip, and I didn't!  NOW I WISH I HAD!  It's so easy to do, but you forget stuff so fast!  Especially when you are ADD like me! 

So my recommendation for anyone out there is to JOURNAL every detail if you want to remember everything about your trip!!!

We were exhausted by the time the bus dropped us off at the London Eye.  Stacey's illness was beginning to really ramp up, and the line for the Eye was really long.  We decided to skip it.  We wandered around the area for a bit before hopping the Tube back home.

More to come...  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment