Saturday, May 21, 2011

Calling it a Season!

So, yes... I give in.  I'm calling it a season.

This year I have traveled more miles than I ever expected I would doing this.

On my own, I racked up over 150 miles...  :)  I know to many chasers that sounds weak, but as someone who can only go on weekends or right after work.  That's pretty good.  Not to mention, there weren't many chasing opportunities that didn't happen during my work day.  In fact, TWICE I didn't have to leave my job, because on 2/28/11 we were nailed by a squall line that produced a tornado in Red Bank, TN and on that dreaded April 27th we were hit by a small EF1 that became a wide EF2 after it crossed the mountain.

Then on April 26th.. I have no idea how many miles we traveled.  Probably just over 800 miles to Haynes, AR.  Probably much more than that really... but that was the day that made me smile so much. Seeing a supercell on the wide open like that was like nothing I've ever experienced.  I didn't even need a tornado.  :)

This year more than ever... I realized my dream of being a storm chaser is coming true.  I can forecast.  I can read radar.  I can read the skies.  It's going to happen... Next year, I'll be on the Plains for a week (at least..hopefully a little more).  :)

The future is bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment